Star Wars: Outlaws

Steam, Deals & More.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Star Wars: Outlaws

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:38 am

Yeah, I think for me it's the type of game that if it was on GamePass I'd give it a go, but at the asking price I'm out and even having to sign up to another subscription service to play is likely to be more effort than I'm willing to go to.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:43 am

I can't muster much enthusiasm for it either. I think a large part of it is that it's a Ubisoft game that appears to be doing nothing to shake up their dull open world formula.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:34 am

And there's the rub - I've *never* had enthusiasm for this game despite my love of the franchise, because it's published by Ubisoft. I feel like Ubi's open-world games have an uphill battle to prove that they're more than tedious map-icon collectathons. They've not exactly shown off some sort of Imperial comms tower you have to climb to reveal the nearby map, and no Tusken settlements to clear, but they've also not shown the map off yet as far as I'm aware and conclusively proven those elements aren't in there.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:42 am

Massive are so well known for their combat engagements and yet shoot outs somehow look so downright unengaging and just ehhhh, yes it's for sure a concern. How does a game such as this in so many regards not look like any form of improvement over Star Wars 1313 which was shown way back in 2012? Combat just has none of the visceral oomph that Div has and the cover system isn't even fully realised opting for that partial hover awkwardly against an object shit that I detest - a very simple crouch simulator. I get it's not going for something close to the Division as can be in an SW presented bottle but damn at least make it look fun with some actual stakes.

Every area seems like a tiny hub devoid of anything of interest and not once yet have I seen a preview that showed Kay actively stop get off the speeder and do some actual natural exploration, everything seems to be point to point cut scene new hub now some spacey rinse and repeat. Oh look another horizon and lots of empty land to pad up the scenery, that's nice. And it does look the part, of course, a shame the gameplay seems so insipid with it.

I was so very excited for this upon announcement, I care very little for it at this point - with what has been shown and with too many Youtuber attempts to make it seem much better than it actually is at face value, my little Stormtrooper man sat on my shelf is a little sad about it.

Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:58 pm

While that looked nice it was painfully formulaic. Run down corridor, floor collapses, shoot 2 guys on higher level, grab the hanging cable/vine and swing into cutscene etc. We've done that dozens of times now in multiple games, it's devoid of any imagination or tension. I'm going to guess it's open world like Jedi Survivor was open world, a very fixed playable area to explore.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:46 pm

I trust Massive more than any of the other Ubisoft studios but I agree with what most people have said, it just looks uninspiring and a bit dull which considering the source material and the fact you are playing a Han Solo style character is pretty astounding.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:59 pm

... maybe it'll be alright?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:56 am

I really hope it does turn out to be good, but still... I've got nothing. I feel nothing for it. As a game, it's dead behind the eyes.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:17 pm

For everything I've seen and heard on the game what with it being touted as the first true open world Star Wars game developed by one of the most talented open world devs, I rightly should be losing my mind. I fucking love Star Wars and open worlds, and of course like everyone else I've long dreamed of a real underbelly style game such as this. Instead, I feel this very odd complete disconnect from it all, not a single thing about it that's been showcased so far makes me even considerable of picking it up. I was wowed initially, but since then the cherry-picked gameplay snippets have done very little for me especially with the weak combat. I'm very much the type of gamer who should be super excited for it, and I'm just not.

What we really need is a solid hands on showcase from someone that really knows how best to sell it, they can present us these snippets all they please but as each one makes my interest wane even further I would just love to see some real meat on the bones. There's still time, I guess.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:14 pm

I think the problem is that it is just an obvious amalgam of gaming tropes hammered together and painted Star Wars. There is nothing here to make anyone go "Oohh" and want to experience it for themselves, rather it's a paint-by-numbers seen-it-all-before open world game.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:29 am

You know what, I'm rather thankful for the idiotic doomer "anti woke this" "DEI that" "Sweet Baby inc!!!" "insert Ubisoft logo here" inspired nonsense such as this as it's given me a bit of a realisation that although I've clearly been somewhat negative towards the game myself I'd rather cut off my tongue than go along with them and completely write the game off, I will await some legitimate reviews and actual gameplay impressions. And I am willing to give the game a try if a few of those find something to really enjoy about the game. They think they speak for the large majority of gamers when they are in fact very much in the minority and just want to circle jerk one another that oh nooo everything is ruined, everything needs to be cancelled expelled and demolished unless it fits very neatly very tightly into their self-absorbed anti-everything criteria cavity. How little they realise they're falling for a rage bait existence and along with that will only ever incur that they will never again be happy with anything, the true dark side finally rests...within themselves - not the industry not Ubisoft or anything else only their complete lack of acceptance.

I honestly just cannot imagine allowing someone as the above convincing you that you don't really want something because A: Ubisoft bad B: rage bait grifting is so easy these days and C: many of those who dish it out respectively have to adopt a cartoon persona just to get their point across - one that feeds into that Nerdrotic/Quartering/Doomcock like narrative that everything is bad and hey you, you gotta be mad about something this week because you don't have your own path towards critical thought and it gives me revenue thanks a lot dumbass subscribe and stay tuned for more.

Part of me knows I should at the very least show a little more faith in Massive I still play The Division to this very day and they instilled within me a large part of my gaming passions in Ground Control back when my PC could hardly run anything. Regardless of how previews shown so far have failed to captivate me, I just need to be a little more open-minded or I'm every bit as bad as these silly negative norman type fucks.

Outlaws will still sell anyway.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:26 am

Lenny Solidus wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:29 am
You know what, I'm rather thankful for the idiotic doomer "anti woke this" "DEI that" "Sweet Baby inc!!!" "insert Ubisoft logo here" inspired nonsense such as this as it's given me a bit of a realisation that although I've clearly been somewhat negative towards the game myself I'd rather cut off my tongue than go along with them and completely write the game off, I will await some legitimate reviews and actual gameplay impressions. And I am willing to give the game a try if a few of those find something to really enjoy about the game. They think they speak for the large majority of gamers when they are in fact very much in the minority and just want to circle jerk one another that oh nooo everything is ruined, everything needs to be cancelled expelled and demolished unless it fits very neatly very tightly into their self-absorbed anti-everything criteria cavity. How little they realise they're falling for a rage bait existence and along with that will only ever incur that they will never again be happy with anything, the true dark side finally rests...within themselves - not the industry not Ubisoft or anything else only their complete lack of acceptance.
Amen. I've no doubt the same is true for the crowd who get enraged over anything Disney does with Star Wars, just because they've decided they despise Disney (and Kathleen Kenedy). The absolute bile I've seen targeting The Acolyte is astounding (it's not perfect, but I'm quite enjoying it), and the criticism typically boils down to either anti-woke bollocks or "that's never happened in Star Wars before, so it's not Star Wars" - an argument that was never an issue when new concepts were introduced in the original and prequel films. Hypocritically, there's also a very specific complaint that something DID happen before in Star Wars and so shouldn't be permitted to happen again in The Acolyte. ](*,)

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:12 am

Doomcock?

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:27 am

Yes Doomcock otherwise known as Overlord DVD, another behind the mask anything for clicks baiter. Take a look...but I wouldn't advise watching any for fear of instant brain rot.

https://www.youtube.com/@OverlordDVD/videos

Honestly, life is just too short to be perpetually pissed off all the time, but these low level “content creators” literally farm it daily with their continued divisiveness towards companies actors writers etc etc. I mean look, if something simply doesn't do it for you move on and find something that does resonate in some way instead and be grown up about it. Don't spend all day busting a testicle with fake rage that will not move any needle in any form anyway.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:46 am

Ah...I thought it might have been some genre of something or other that kids are into these days and I wasn't going to google it. It's just some Edwin on YouTube.