I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:56 am

Vantage Point

Decent action thriller about a presidential assassination attempt, mostly presented as 10 minute chunks of the incident from the perspectives of different characters. Gets a bit silly by the end and suffers from characters who seem determined to make the worst possible choices (e.g. a child running across 10 lanes of traffic to get to their mother), but worth a watch.

7/10

The Devil's Double

Based on a true story, this tells the story of Latif Yahia, who was forced into becoming the body double for Saddam Hussein's eldest son, Uday Hussein. Uday was a hedonistic, narcissistic maniac who went round Iraq getting drunk, snorting cocaine, shooting anyone who annoyed him, torturing athletes who failed in their sports and, perhaps even more disturbingly, kidnapping schoolgirls walking home so he could rape them. Dominic Cooper puts in a superb performance as both Uday and Latif, showing both the violent lunatic and the enraged man under his yoke.

It's a really hard film to watch at times, but it is absolutely worth watching. It has a feel of Last King of Scotland - maybe even Joffrey from Game of Thrones - portraying how dangerous and terrifying it is to merely be in the presence of such an erratic tyrant.

9/10

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:12 am

Rebel Moon - Directors cut parts 1 & 2

I read a review in the Guardian which wasn't particularly glowing, plus I am not really much of a sci-fi buff, so of course I decided that about 7 hours of film would be worth my time :)

I enjoyed it a lot as it turned out. I know there was a brief exchange of thoughts on what I assume was the original version of the films on here, but not having seen them can only comment on the versions I watched. Apparently the team making the film effectively made two versions at once, a family friendly general release version as well as an adult-themed "the way we wanted to make it" with sex scenes (which overstay their welcome) and lashings of graphic violence.

The cast act out their roles really well, the villains are especially villainous, and by the end of the second film everything is teed up nicely for the next chapters in the story. Yes, apparently 7 hours is not enough and Snyder wants to make more content, but I am happy with that, bring it on. It isn't perfect by any means and I can imagine that it won't be for everyone, but I enjoyed it over the course of several evenings and would recommend giving it a watch.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:50 pm

Everyone I know that saw Rebel Moon said it was hot garbage. But after your glowing review I might take a look. Prepare to be shunned if I don't enjoy it.
Was Zach Snyder always a bit shit? Dawn of the Dead, 300 and Watchmen are great, everything else not so much.

Ad Astra
What a very strange film, I watched it a couple of years ago but remember nothing. Beautifully shot with some great music and good acting. The opening sequence looks amazing as does all the action scenes, it's just makes zero sense. The Solar System is being blasted with a massive EMP from Neptune, the same location where a manned mission went missing 30 years earlier. Brad Pitt is sent to investigate. Explaining what he encounters on the way would spoil the surprise of the odd shit he witnesses...
Spoiler
unexplained Moon pirates, a stranded spaceship with psychotic baboons (that was a shock to say the least :lol: ) and other odd shit
I believe it started off with a pretty straight forward script but the action sequences got shoehorned in to spice it up. Definitely feels that way. It's not a bad film, just a bit disjointed.

I'm going to see Interstellar in IMAX next weekend. 10 year anniversary of release. Really looking forward to that. The gf has never seen it so I'm not sure how she'll feel about an almost 3 hour, sci fi heavy film that is soul crushing in places...on a 60ft screen. Can't wait.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:34 pm

First Man

I've not seen a film that as adequately captures the sense of wonder and drama of the space race since Apollo 13. This is a masterpiece of visual and sound design, and it absolutely nails the violence of aerospace exploration. There's a shot during the culmination of the film that honestly moved me to tears. I can't help but think of a scene from The West Wing that similarly nails the reverence I feel for this era:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:59 pm

Completely agreed, it’s a masterful film. The opening scene is one of my favourite starts to a film in recent memory, perfectly capturing the sheer danger and terror - and wonder - involved with space flight, that could only be met with professional calm.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Sep 16, 2024 5:28 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:50 pm
Everyone I know that saw Rebel Moon said it was hot garbage. But after your glowing review I might take a look. Prepare to be shunned if I don't enjoy it.
Was Zach Snyder always a bit shit? Dawn of the Dead, 300 and Watchmen are great, everything else not so much.
It isn't the best film ever made, and there are moments that make you want to reach for the fast forward, indeed I did fast forward what felt like about 10 minutes of sex scene. Yes, I get it, these two are shagging. I don't need to watch the entire act though thanks. Likewise there are scenes of wistful looking into the distance and overly mawkish soliloquising that outstay their welcome considerably. Oh, and it is quite derivative, very Seven Samurai for example.

But. Park any misconceptions that you are about to watch high art, and instead just go for the ride. You will have a fun time of it, at least I did :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Sep 18, 2024 4:08 pm

I'm about halfway through the first film.... Christ on a bike, what a fucking bizarre mix of ludicrous shit this is! Budget 40K Guardsmen attack a space Skyrim village. Chappie makes an appearance and gratuitous violence occurs. A griffin, alien hoors and extremely uncomfortable tentacle sex. This is only in the first 90 minutes!!!